CALL FOR APPLICATIONS TO BROKENHEAD OJIBWAY NATION DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION FOR (2) BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Dear Potential Applicants:
The Brokenhead Ojibway Nation Development Corporation is accepting applications to serve on its Board of Directors. Prior to applying, please review this document to gain an understanding of the requirements of this position.
Background: The primary purpose of the Development Corporation is to create economic benefits from business interests, create employment for its members and generate income to support community priorities. The Development Corporation, as part of improving the community’s governance of economic activities, allows for separation of its business interests from direct governance by elected officials.
Mandate: Its role is to ensure that the Development Corporation fulfills legal and regulatory requirements. To provide oversight of management and the operations of the Development Corporation, including the supervision of the CEO.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the management of the Development Corporation
- Report and be accountable on the Development Corporation’s business plans and results of operations
- Approve the annual business plan and budgets for the Development Corporation and the businesses managed by it
- Attend all scheduled Board meetings
- Special meetings as required
- Prepare and present at the Annual General Meeting, the Corporations activities to the Shareholders
- Bring to the Board a high degree of interest and/or expertise in the areas being addressed.
- Schedule a few hours for preparation prior to each meeting
- Assist the organization to expand its resource base by sharing expertise and by providing access to personal or professional contacts who may be interested in contributing to success of the Economic ventures of the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation
We hope to receive a record number of nominations with a view to having a diverse, talented and dedicated pool of candidates to draw from for Board of Directors service. We are especially looking for qualified candidates who have skills/experience in the following areas:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS FOR BOARD MEMBER:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Of sound mind and good character.
- Not an elected official of Brokenhead Ojibway Nation Council nor an employee of the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation Development Corporation.
- No direct or indirect conflict of interest.
- Socially responsible and knowledgeable about the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation community, its culture and its needs and priorities.
- High ethical standards, integrity and reliability in professional and personal dealings.
- Appreciation of the principles of transparency and accountability to the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation community.
- Ability to strategically plan for and prioritize the needs of the present and future generations of the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation community.
- Knowledge and understanding of roles and responsibilities of a member of a governing board.
- Personal and professional skills match what the Corporation is seeking.
- Not bankrupt (successful candidates will need to provide proof).
- Satisfactory results of background checks.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Past volunteer or community involvement or similar experience.
- Ability and willingness to raise/deal with potentially controversial issues in a manner that encourages/maintains dialogue.
- Flexibility, responsiveness and willingness to consider others’ opinions.
- Capable of wide perspective on issues.
- Ability to listen, communicate and work as a team member.
- Preferable experience in one or more of the following areas:
- public policy; • communications; • economics; • finance; • accounting; or • governance.
- CA/CPA Designation
- Banking & Mortgages
- Retail experience
- Economic Development experience in a First Nation setting.
Anyone interested in serving on the Board should be fully conversant with and comfortable with the mission, vision and values embodied within these documents.
All candidates must complete the appropriate attached Application Forms and must have demonstrated leadership, passion and a commitment to carrying out the Economic Goals of the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation.
Qualifying candidates for the Board will be expected to bring a broad understanding of Economic Development in a First Nation setting. All candidates are expected to be able and willing to work with others to make informed decisions that are in the collective interests of the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation.
- Applications will be accepted immediately following distribution of the Call for Applications. It is open until the positions are filled.
- All applications will be acknowledged within 15 days of receipt.
- A review of all applications and interviews will be held with shortlisted candidates.
- All applicants will be contacted to advise whether their application has been accepted/approved.
Forms submitted by mail should be sent to:
Brokenhead Ojibway Nation Development Corporation
Call for Board of Directors
C/O Angela Petrash, BON Dev Corp. Manager
PO Box 130, Scanterbury MB R0E 1W0
Electronic submission should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org